Wednesday 4 April 2012

Ebay and Leather Bound Eco Friendly Journals

Ebay is at the same time fantastic and terrifying.  It means that craftspeople who do not produce enough to afford the rent of a shop have a far wider customer base than would have been possible thirty years ago, and it gives the opportunity for unwanted presents and inherited furniture to find new homes.  It also means that the little niche shops that are just scraping by are finding it harder and harder to compete with the online prices.

But my intention at the start of this post was not to rant about the tragedy that in 20 years time there could be no independent shops left on the streets and we will do all our shopping online – because that is the shape of the future, and all the complaining in the world isn’t going to change anything.  We can only change things by our actions, and the sad truth is that things are often cheaper online, and I am a pragmatic person who will go for the cheapest or most convenient option.  When the closest crystal shop is a 30 minute drive away and ebay is 30 seconds away, it’s not too hard to predict which option I will go for!

The ebay shop run by WiccaWorld (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/wiccaworld) has the most beautiful hand made leather journals.  What really impressed me with the shop was the way the owner went the extra mile to make sure that the journals were entirely eco friendly.  I admit, I was tempted the most by the massive alter tome.  (If only I had £100.00 to spare...) The massive size evokes the middle ages and film sets, books that big just aren’t common anymore!  I can imagine filling it with water colour images and copperplate handwriting.  Their smaller journals are just as attractive, and if the pictures are to be trusted, the detailing on the covers is fantastic.  I have just about made up my mind to treat myself to one next payday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: The British Dilemma

Frost rimes the grass Breath clouds, visible Am I a dragon? Or a puffing train? I selfishly guard my mug Hoarding the warmth Shivering...