Tuesday 24 April 2012

Crochet Project: Butterfly Mobile

I made a butterfly mobile for a colleague this evening.  I think that she now may be Tom's least favourite person, but that can't be helped.  At her scan this morning she was told that she is having a girl, so now we all know that we have to buy her pink things!  I don't expect that the others will make her anything, but I think every baby should have something hand made.


The butterflies are from this pattern: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2075057&postcount=1


Rather than hanging them from a circular frame, I chose to use bamboo skewers to make a 'Gods Eye' and then croched chains to hang them from, joining to each butterfly with a sc that encompassed the black chain of the body and one or two of the dc underneath it.  This also stops the body from moving around so that the antenna don't move out of place.  The other end of the chain was just slid onto the skewers.


The central chain is 15, the next 25, 35 and so on.  I then chained 70 twice, attached the chains to the opposite ends, (outside the chains that hold the butterflies) and then tied the two in a knot to hang it from.  The two loops at the top I sc'd around, to create a sturdy-ish loop to hang the mobile from.  The weight of the mobile and the nature of the frame stops the chains from sliding off the ends, even if a butterfly is tugged.


I would suggest, if anyone else wants to try this, making small playdough or plasticene balls to stick on the end of the skewers.  I did carve the pointy end off, but it's still not exactly 'child safe'.  I originally thought of blu-tack, but that might be toxic so I think playdough would be safer as that's designed for children.


Sorry that the pictures aren't as clear as they could be, my phone is not the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: The British Dilemma

Frost rimes the grass Breath clouds, visible Am I a dragon? Or a puffing train? I selfishly guard my mug Hoarding the warmth Shivering...